The LIC Statement of Faith
We believe in, and affirm:
- The unity of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit in the Godhead.
- The sovereignty of God in creation, revelation, redemption and final judgment.
- The divine inspiration of Holy Scripture and His supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- That the gospel is, in the first instance, God’s gospel (Mark 1:14; Romans 1:1). Its authority and truth rest on Him alone. The gospel is the saving power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes, without distinction (Romans 1:16).
- The full deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, the incarnate Son of God; His real and sinless humanity; His ministry on earth; His death on the cross; His bodily resurrection, His ascension and His present reign in heaven and on earth.
- That Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation, the only mediator between God and humanity (John 14:6; Acts 4:10-12; 1Timothy 2:5).
- The one Holy Universal Church, which is the Body of Christ, and to which all true believers belong.
- That the Church is commanded by God and is therefore under divine obligation to preach the gospel to every living person (Luke 24:47, Matthew 28:18-19).
- That all human beings have sinned and come short of God’s glory.
- That personal faith in Jesus Christ as the divine Word (John 1:1), the second Person of the Trinity, co-eternal and co-essential with the Father and the Holy Spirit (Hebrews 1:3), is foundational to faith in the gospel. This implies acknowledgement of our own sin and need as well as personal trust and reliance upon Christ and his work.
- That justification is God’s act of undeserved mercy, in which the sinner is pardoned of all sins and accepted as righteous in God’s sight. This justification is to be received by faith.
- That the Holy Spirit makes the work of Christ effective to the sinner, granting repentance toward God and faith in Jesus Christ. He indwells the believer, and produces an increasing likeness of Christ in character and behavior, and empowers the believer for witness in the world and service to fellow human beings.
- That the Lord Jesus will come again and judge all mankind.